Search
  • cambornecommunity

Setting up the centre

It is a well known fact that in all communities certain individuals are gifted with altruistic instincts and are always only too willing to give up much of their leisure time in the service of others.

It was people such as these, under the Chairmanship of Mr D W Thomas, who were present at the inaugural meeting in 1937:


D W Thomas - Chairman

Mrs A M Blackwood

Mr W T Rundle

Mrs H H Berriman

Captain B Kelly

Miss A Smith

Mr F L Harris

Rev H Phelps

Miss Clark

Mr W W Blewett

Mr C H Berriman

Miss C White

Miss M Pratt

Mr Trerise

Miss E F Snell


It was no mean task which faced these pioneers of community service and in order to develop and provide equipment and staff, funds were urgently needed.


By February 1938, funds had been secured to employ a full time warden and the following organisations were established at the centre:


Workers Educational Association

Social Services Committee

Girl Guides

Boy Scouts

Drama Society

Camborne Old Cornwall Society

Camborne Town Band

Infant Welfare Clinic


Fast forward 82 years and two of these - the Girl Guides and Camborne Town band are still at the centre.

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Magic Little Grant

We are delighted to have received a Magic Little Grant through the partnership between LocalGiving and the Postcode Community Trust. Postcode Community Trust is a grant-giving charity funded by player

Kernow Specials

We are delighted to welcome the Kernow Specials Boccia team to the Community Centre family. We are looking forward to hosting training sessions in the New Year. For anyone who doesn't know, think Spec

Find us on Facebook 

  • Facebook Social Icon
This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now